Volunteering at SMHC
Volunteering at Southern Maine Health Care
Volunteers Make a Difference
Our volunteers come from many different backgrounds, are of varying ages and each has something special to offer. Last year, volunteers donated over 52,000 hours at multiple SMHC locations.
The Role of a Volunteer
Almost 300 men and women from all over York County (and even New Hampshire) volunteer at SMHC. You can find most of them in the hospital setting in Biddeford and Sanford, but volunteers also play a key role at our eldercare facilities in Sanford, and in our Biddeford, Saco, Sanford, Waterboro and Kennebunk offices.
Whether they are able to help a few hours a week, or a few days a week, volunteers provide a vital link between the excellent care SMHC provides and the people we serve. Our volunteers are important members of the SMHC healthcare team. SMHC and our patients are enriched by our volunteer’s personal touch.
The Benefit of Being an SMHC Volunteer
There are many benefits to being a volunteer, both tangible and intangible. From the camaraderie and friends you’ll make, to the annual recognition event, there’s nothing as fulfilling as belonging to a group that makes a difference.
- In-house educational programs
- Discount program, including pharmacy
- Annual flu shots and TB screening
- Annual recognition event
- Participation in meal voucher program
Typical volunteer opportunities include:
- Greet visitors and patients
- Run errands, deliver flowers and patient mail
- Assist various departments with clerical needs
- Participate in the Chaplain Program
- Help at community events
- Help out with special projects
- Assist staff in the Emergency Department
- Interact with patients in a variety of ways
- Work in the food Kiosk and the Gift Shop
- Assist the Activities Department at eldercare facilities
For more information on how you can join our wonderful family of volunteers, please contact:
Biddeford Medical Center
1 Medical Center Drive
Biddeford, ME 04005
Sanford Medical Center
25 June Street
Sanford, ME 04073